Our Goodman family originated in Germany and migrated to Western
NY in the mid-1800's.
John D. Goodman's 1857/1860 U.S. Citizenship Papers and
The original German name for the family was Godemann. The family
name was later changed to Goodman, but you can still see the
original spelling on some headstones in
St. Peter Lutheran Cemetery in North Ridge, and on some of the
original family documents.
Our Godemann / Goodman family was German Lutheran.
There are other Goodman families in Niagara County that are not
related. One family was also from Germany, with an original surname
There are also other Goodman families in the area, who are
Jewish, and are not related.
For more information about our Goodman family, use the
Goodman link under Families, at the top of this page.
The Oliphant family originated in what is now Norway, migrating to
what is now Scotland and later to England.
Our branch of the family started with Duncan Oliphant who immigrated
to Staten Island in the 17th Century, when it was part of New
Amsterdam and under Dutch Control. Duncan later moved to the Colony
of New Jersey. Family members eventually migrated to PA, NY, and
Canada. In the early 1800's, Peter S. Oliphant left Canada,
purchasing property in Lockport. Peter then sold his Lockport
property, purchasing a farm on the Ridge Road in Cambria, NY. Peter
was married three times. He had nine children by his first wife,
none by the second, and two by his third wife.
All members of our Oliphant family are descended from Peter S.
There are relatives of Peter S. Oliphant's Canadian family who
settled in Lancaster, Erie County, NY.
There is another Oliphant family that migrated to N.Y. State, which
has family members buried in Lewiston, NY. There is no connection
between that Oliphant family and ours on this side of the Atlantic.
There's probably a distant connection in England or Scotland.
about Duncan Oliphant
about Canadian Oliphants
about Aron Oliphant U.E.L. (United
Empire Loyalist) War of 1812
See more about Aron lower on this page
about Peter S. Oliphant
Aron Oliphant U.E.L.
Aron Oliphant was a brother of Peter S. Oliphant of Niagara County,
NY. Aron Oliphant was born in N.Y. State, but migrated to Canada
about 1808. Aron's parent's and te rest of the family followed Aron
to Canada just before the War of 1812.
Aron fought on the British side in the War, stationed in Fort York
(now in Toronto). Aron's brother, Peter S. Oliphant is related,
through his third wife, Anna Augusta Pierce, to Gad Pierce II.
Gad Pierce II was active in an American Militia, against the
British. His tavern in what is now Niagara Falls, NY, was burned by
the British when they attacked the Niagara Frontier.
Read more about Gad Pierce and his tavern in the column the right
and through the links below:
about Gad Pierce II
about Gad's Gravesite
about Anna A. Pierce
Greg Goodman and his mother Marie Goodman visiting his uncle,
(Marie's Brother-in-law) Malcolm E. ('Bose') Goodman at the Odd
Fellow & Rebekah Nursing Home, Lockport, NY (2012)
Silas M. Oliphant Barn For Sale
The remains of a barn once owned by Silas M. Oliphant on Ridge
Road (Rt 104) is now for sale as a kit.
ReUse Action, of Buffalo, is now offering this barn for sale.
Buffalo, New York 14211
about Silas M. Oliphant
about Silas' Barn
Gad Pierce II: US Militia
WAR OF 1812
Gad Pierce II was born in 1768 in Massachusetts. He was among the
very first settlers in what is now the City of Niagara Falls, NY. He established a tavern on the site
of the Niagara Falls Library, near the intersection of Main Street &
Pierce Avenue. He fought the British and Indians when they attacked
his tavern in 1813. He also helped lead the local Militia against
Gad's grandaughter, Anna Augusta Pierce, married Peter S.
Oliphant of the Town of Cambria. Peter S. Oliphant was the father of
R.E. Lee Oliphant and grandfather of Ennis C. Oliphant.
about Peter S. Oliphant
Pierce's Tavern Historical Marker
Niagara Falls Public Library Niagara Falls, NY
about Gad Pierce II
about Anna A. Pierce
Malcolm E. ('Bose') Goodman
M. E. Goodman USN
Malcolm E. ('Bose'), Betty J., and sons: Stephen ('Steve') E.,
Gerald ('Ed') E., Douglas ('Doug') Goodman in the 1950s (probably
Family Lands and Property Records
"In Lilleford William Olyfart holds 5 hides of fee of King of Scotland;
held by Walter of Countess Judith in 1068 ..."
Domesday Book, Lilford, Huxloe Hundred, Northamptonshire, England
Northamptonshire - 11th Century AD / CE*
AD: "Anno Domini" / CE: "Common (or 'Current') Era"
William Oliphant (11th Century AD /CE)
In the time of
King Edward the Confessor, 5 hides in Lilford were the property of
Thurchil, who held them freely. They had probably been afterwards
granted to Waltheof, Earl of Huntingdon, who married Judith, the
Conqueror's niece. Judith continued to hold in 1086 after the execution
of her husband in 1075. Their eldest daughter and coheir Maud was given
in marriage by William to his Norman follower Simon de St. Lis or
Senliz, who was made Earl of Northampton and Huntingdon, and after his
death she was married to David, later king of Scotland, who became Earl
of Huntingdon. The overlordship then followed the descent of the earldom
and honour of Huntingdon. The tenants in demesne were the Oliphants
(Olifard, Holyfard) who from being holders of land in England under the
kings of Scotland transferred their allegiance to Scotland, becoming
magnates and peers there. Three branches of the family apparently held
lands within the counties of which the King of Scotland was earl. The
earliest member of the family as yet found is Roger Oliphant who
witnessed a charter of Simon de St. Liz to St. Andrew's Priory,
Northampton, not later than 1108. In the survey of the reign of Henry I
(1100–35) William Oliphant was holder of 5 hides in Lilford of the king
of Scotland and was living about 1147. He was probably succeeded by
David Oliphant godson of King David of Scotland, who assisted at King
David's escape after the rout at Winchester in 1141. It was he probably
who was attesting charters to 1167. His successor was possibly William
whose name appears in these counties about this time. Walter Oliphant
was given as a hostage by William of Scotland in 1174 and a William and
his sister Agatha were connected with Northamptonshire in 1201. It was
another Walter, probably, whose land in Lilford was in 1216 committed to
Ralf de Trubleville. This Walter was a man of considerable importance in
Scotland, holding the office of justice of Lothian and being constantly
in attendance on the king. He presented to the church of Lilford in 1228
and he and William Oliphant were dealing with lands in Lilford and
Wigsthorpe in 1232. In 1242–3 the heir of Walter Oliphant (as though
Walter were dead) is said to hold one fee in Lilford of the Earl of
Albemarle of the Honour of Huntingdon. This heir was apparently
David Oliphant, one of the magnates of Scotland, who in 1244 was
returned as holding one fee in Northamptonshire of William de Forz, Earl
of Albemarle, and Christine his wife. It would seem that this David was
dead without issue before 1266 when Walter de Moray (Moravia),
apparently one of his heirs, presented to the church of Lilford.
Divorgilla his widow, described as Lady of Lilford, held the manor of
Lilford for life by gift of Walter de Moray, who reserved the advowson
of the church. Divorgilla Oliphant gave to Divorgilla daughter of Sir
Walter Montfichet (Montefixo) all the lands in Armiston which she held
by gift of Roger Wallenger, with remainders to Divorgilla Montfichet's
brothers Laurence and John. In 1287 William Montfichet, Lord of Kirgill
(Kirkhill) in Scotland, and heir of the Lady Divorgilla Oliphant, Lady
of Lilford, granted the lands he had received from her to Laurence son
of Sir Walter de Montfichet, his kinsman, with reversion to John son of
the said Laurence. In 1296 Divorgilla claimed the advowson of the church
of Lilford against William son of Walter de Moray, and the King
presented because the lands of Scottish magnates had been taken into his
hands. The presentation to the church was made in 1228 by Walter
Oliphant, and the early history of the advowson is to be found with that
of the manor (q.v.), with which it was held until, in 1383–4, Robert de
Willoughby of Eresby and his wife Margaret made a conveyance of land in
Lilford and of the advowson to Sir John Holt, kt., and others, from whom
they were acquired in 1387 by John de Buckingham, Bishop of Lincoln.
Province of West New Jersey:
18th Century AD /CE
Jersey and East
Jersey were two distinct parts of the
of New Jersey.
(1673-1734), of Scotland, Staten Island, and West New Jersey
After living on
Staten Island, under the Dutch, Duncan Oliphant migrated to Amwell
Township in the Colony of New Jersey. Duncan Oliphant left Staten Island
and went to what was then the Province of West New Jersey. He owned
property on the Old York Road, Amwell Township, Hunterdon County, N.J.
When Duncan died, his farm was divided among three sons: David, James,
Ephraim Oliphant (1717-1794)
Pennsylvania & New York:
18th Century AD /CE
(1724-1816), of Staten Island, NJ, PA, and NY
James , a son of Duncan Oliphant, inherited part of his father's
farm in Amwell, NJ. He moved to Northampton County, Pennsylvania. James
later migrated to Ballston Township, Saratoga County New York State, where he is buried.
James OLIPHANT, Son of Duncan Oliphant and Mary GARRISON, was born
in 1724, on Staten Island, Richmond, NY; married Jane WORTMAN in either
Hunterdon, NJ, or Northampton, PA. James Oliphant lived in Upper Bethel,
Northampton, PA, next to James Richart, have maps of properties. Jane
Oliphant married James Richart about 1773 or so. In 1800 they were in
Northumberland county, PA. references: 1790,
1800 Censuses, deeds, tax exonerations.
OLLOFEND, James, fa'r, 18s,8d. ... He
probably went to NY about 1785-6 with son Duncan. from
History and Antiquities of PA. by Sherman Day, 1842.
James OLIPHANT (son of Duncan)
was born Bet. 1719 - 1724, and died 17 Jun 1816. He married Jane
WORTMAN. Children of James OLIPHANT and Jane WORTMAN are: Andrew
OLIPHANT, d. 16 Apr 1824. James OLIPHANT.
Duncan OLIPHANT, b. 12 Aug 1748; d. 02 May 1822; m. (1)
Rachel WOODRUFF; m. (2) Jennett VANDENBURGH. Peter W. OLIPHANT,
b. 12 Sep 1762; d. 27 Aug 1846.
Upper Canada / Canada West:
19th Century AD /CE
was a son of Peter W. OLIPHANT (1762-1846). His mother was probably Peter's
first wife, Eve KRIBS / CRIPPS, although some researchers list him as
the son of Peter's secong wife, Elizabeth ('Betsy') SCOFIELD
(1768-1826). He was born in
County, Pennsylvania February 17, 1788 (His father was also born in
PA). He married 3 times. He married his first wife, Catherine
HENDERSHOTT (1779-1848) in 1806 in PA. Aron married his second wife,
Elizabeth (1800-1861) (a widow of Fancis BLAIR) in 1848. Aron married
his third wife, Sarah CARKRIFF in 1862. Aron OLIPHANT died August 29,
1868. Aron OLIPHANT preceeded his parents and sibblings, arriving in
Upper Canada / Canada West, in what is now Ontario, as early as 1806,
settling in what is now
County, ON. His parents were still in Herkimer County, NY, where his
half-brother, Peter S. OLIPHANT was born in 1805. The family was still
in Herkimer County, NY during the 1810 Census, but apparently migrated
to Canada sometime before the War of 1812. The family settled in the
Clarkson area (now part of Mississauga), in what is now the Region of
Peel. Many members of this family, including
Aron OLIPHANT and his wives, are buried in
Springcreek Cemetery, Mississauga, ON, Canada. Having preceeded the
family to Canada about 1806, Aron became a Private in the
2nd Regiment, York Militia (York
was the previous name for Toronto), fighting on the British side as a "United
Empire Loyalist" during the War of 1812. Aron OLIPHANT's Regiment
fought with Sir Issac Brock at the
Battle of Queenston Heights Aron Oliphant did not participate,
because he was "on Furlough" at the time of this Battle (October 13,
PAY RECORDS below.
Documents 226 to 228
June 29 to Oct. 24, 1812
Second Regiment of York Militia
Captain John Chisholm’s Company
Signed Feb. 26, 1813 by John Chisholm at Queenston. Signed by Will
Crooks J.P. Documents 230 and 231 had the same muster but without the
dates served. It was signed by Thos. M Cormack, Pay Master.
||Rank and Names
NOTE: "Aaron Alefont" is Aron OLIPHANT, who was "on Furlough"
September 25 - October 24, 1812 "Danl. Greenes" is Daniel GRINNIS
(GEENIAUS). Daniel GEENIAUS' sister, Catharine GREENIAUS, married
Hiram W. OLIPHANT, a Half-brother of Aron OLIPHANT.
New York State:
19th-21st Centuries AD /CE
(1762-1846), of Pennsylvania, New York, and Ontario
(1762-1846), son of James and grandson of Duncan Oliphant, was born in
Pennsylvainia. He was married twice. His first wife, Eve Kribs (or
Cripps), was born in 1765 on Staten Island. Eve and Peter Oliphant had a
son, Aron Oliphant, 1788-1868. Aron was in Canada as early as 1806. He
fought on the British side during the War of 1812. Peter Oliphant's
second wife was Elizabeth Scofield (1768-1826), born in Connecticut.
Peter & Elizabeth (Scofield) Oliphant's children included Elizabeth A.,
Peter S., Hiram W., and possibly a John Oliphant. Peter S. Oliphant (son
of Peter & Elizabeth), was born in 1808 in Herkimer County, NY. His
parents and sibblings later followed his step-brother, Aron, into Canada
(between 1810 and 18:12). Peter S. Oliphant arrived in Niagara County,
New York State, in 1826.
Gerald Edward ("Ed") Goodman: 1954-2014
Newfane - Gerald E. "Ed" Goodman died suddenly
at his home on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 at the age of 59. Ed was born July
24, 1954 in Niagara Falls, NY, the son of the late Malcolm E. and Betty
Jane (Oliphant) Goodman. He was a 1972 graduate of Newfane High School
and had attended Niagara County Community College. He enlisted in the
U.S. Navy in October of 1972 and served until his Honorable Discharge in
July of 1975. Along with his brother, Stephen, Ed owned and operated
Betty Jane Cabins in Newfane. He had also worked at Lebrag-Garbel
Welding in Lockport. Ed was a life member of the Niagara County
Motorcycle Club, a member of the Concordia Lutheran Church in Newfane,
and the Antique Motorcycle Club of America. He was appreciated for his
knowledge and lifelong passion for old machinery, particularly his
antique motorcycles. Ed was a lover of music, and especially enjoyed
playing his guitar. He also was an avid reader. He is survived by his
wife of 27 years, Rebecca A. (Hoffner) Goodman; his children, Jenifer A.
Edgar of Newfane, Ellen M. (Leo) Walker of Asheville, NC, Natalie J.
(Josh) Verheyn of Indiana, and Gloria (Bart) Langendorfer of
Ransomville; his grandchildren, Nyx Verheyn, Duane Langendorfer, and
Julius Walker; two brothers, Stephen (Susan) Goodman of Newfane and
Douglas Goodman of Port Townsend, WA; and several aunts, uncles and
cousins.Friends may call at HARDISON FUNERAL HOME, 3648 Ransomville
Road, Ransomville on Friday from 4 - 8 pm. Funeral Services will be held
Saturday, June 21, at 11:00 AM in the funeral home, with the Rev. David
Duke officiating. Burial will follow in North Ridge Cemetery, Church Rd.
Town of Cambria. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Concordia
Lutheran Church, 3121 Beebe Rd., Newfane, NY 14108.